See Also : DesignbyShakti.com

Downright Fiction E-Magazine is a platform that encourages independent thinking and creative expression. The website aims to bring together all things related fiction, un-fiction and music for our readers as well as our writers. You will also find Tips & resources for writers, and downloads & interviews for music lovers.

The Doorway: Where are we Now?

I often wonder why I get so lazy to put down things in writing!

And by that I mean: how come the blinking cursor makes me think of impending work to be done, rather than impulsively make me sit down and ease me into the get-go of thoughts-to-type flow. By that I mean , get me into writing something.

Or the other.

To say the least, I’m at the same stage in refining a written voice as you are. And by that I mean, I don’t claim to be no expert and/or some sort of guru. No, I’m not saying I’m any of that.

Click below to Read More..


The pure reason for Downright’s existence has been an honesty-driven force. I know I seem to speak in a lot of metaphysical terms - and that’s possibly the clearest statement I’ve gotten on here so far – the idea is to just spread the written work without having any of that ‘what do they like to read?’ mindset.

If that doesn’t make any sense, I’d like to stress on the fact, that the message behind Downright Fiction’s existence is to serve the work “as is” – no edits, re-writes, ‘sounds wrong’s and ‘too wordy’s ! It’s about getting the raw written work straight from your head-to-the reader without having to go through the shivers of the “what will they think about this?” nonsense.

I’m sure there are many of you out there thinking that works need to be written, refined, re-read and reworked until it sounds, reads and looks like a “complete” piece of work… my argument to that is that sometimes pieces lose their charm, their essence in all that re-working. All that stripping down makes it a little less personal, a little less individualistic and possibly a lot less original.

Is editing work a bad thing?

I’ll say probably not. And I’ll say probably is worse than you think it is.

I’m saying this because, once you get into some sort of writing habit and/or have a voice you think you completely stand by, slowly and steadily, you might have a personal sense of refinery, nitpicking and anal point of view of the work. Until then, you should have the freedom to write as you think you want to.

But until you know what you sound like, and until you’re not happy with the way you do, why not test the waters and see , what the work – in virtual print – looks like all completed and finished?

Maybe this will help you think, “ did I really write that? “ or perhaps make you go, “ Next time, I should avoid that!”

Again, I’m stressing on the fact that I’m no big-shot whose got some big list of books selling out there – I’m at a similar basic level as you are – I’m just trying to find us a way to play around with our work , see what it looks like – have some of our friends read it, have some lovers of writing read it – Maybe your raw, honest voice seems to hit a chord and needs just a little sharpening.

Maybe you’ll discover something new about your writing that you never noticed before !

Maybe you thought you sounded amazing in your head…. But on paper (well, virtual space) it sounds even better?

Have you considered that?



1 comment:

  1. :) You have a good point. Other than for spelling, grammar, and re-wording I never edit my writing until someone else reads it. They can point out what's wrong with it. They know better than me! I'm a little biased. ahaha.

    ReplyDelete

Test